Patent Portfolio Analysis
Patent portfolio management is required to effectively strategize R&D investment/opportunity and identify unused patents in the portfolio for licensing. Also, portfolio management services help an organization determine the economic value of its portfolio. Patents in the portfolio are organized using a technology based categorization. This categorization allows the team to bucket and examine patents by technology domains and sub-domains describing key elements of the technology domain covered by the patent portfolio. Our patent portfolio management services assist clients in gaining a competitive edge in the marketplace.
ExpertLancing’s typical patent portfolio analysis service is a thorough methodology through which we have successfully assisted many of our clients in monetizing their patent assets. For your reference, mentioned below is our customized process:
- Patent Portfolio Categorization– The service method involves bucketing enforceable patent in the portfolio using a technology based categorization.
- Identifying STAR Patents – The service involves manual screening of each enforceable patent in the portfolio in order to shortlist the Star Patents in the portfolio. The service method includes:
- Quantitative analysis based on quantitative parameters, such as, forward citation, number of independent claims, claim length, etc.
- Qualitative analysis based on qualitative parameters, such as, readability of claim(s) on a product/service features, broadness of patent claims, specifications enablement, number of alive members in patent family, number of office action responses, market segment and size, etc.
- Infringement Search – Detailed infringement search is performed for each of the STAR patents. The patents are ranked as High, Mediumor Low on basis of scope of infringement suggestive of the overlap between subject patent claim elements and identified potential products/process.
- Claim Chart/Evidence of Use (EoU) – EoUs/Claim charts are prepared for patents with either High or Medium ranking in order to assist clients to map key features of the claim(s) to product specifications and create evidences that potentially prove infringement. The evidence of potential infringement is produced using various literatures, such as, catalogs, manuals, data sheets, white papers, product brochures, etc. We also perform product testing, if required, to ascertain infringement. Another critical approach undertaken is to check if any of the latest standards incorporate the features of the patent. We have experience of working on different standards including IEEE 802, 3GPP, LTE, etc.
- Marketing Material– ExpertLancing team prepares marketing collaterals that are used by our clients to pitch key prospects and formulate business strategies.
- Technology Analysis – Introduction, Detailed Technology Overview, Key Players, Applications etc.
- Market Analysis – Current and Future Market Overview and Growth Projection, Top Companies Strength Indicator etc.
- Potential Buyers – Potential Buyers list in various technology applicability domain.